6:30 came bright and early this morning, as we dragged our summer lazy bodies out of bed. I was trying to keep my eyes propped open and put a little war paint on my dark circles before I woke Ra-Ra up. And before I could even wipe the sleep out of my eye...my little blonde hair beauty came bouncing into my bathroom fully dressed in her new little school uniform...ready to take on the day.

What my children lack in physical similarities to the one who bore them life...they make up in similarities to my personality. No, not one of morning optimism, that is not a blessing I was gifted with. But waking up excited to wear her new outfit. She was a doll...so preppy...so polished...so cute...and she KNEW it. She had a sheepish smile plastered on her face.
Daddy made her favorite breakfast...waffles with Chocolate Agave Syrup. She gobbled it up. On any normal day...this is a child who rouses around 9 o'oclock...eats breakfast hours later...and stays in jammies as long as she can get away with. So for her to be up dressed (darlingly I might add) and have eaten before the clock struck 7:00 was no small feat.
But again she had brand new clothes to model to make up for the lack of sleep.
After complaining about Utah schools for the last 2 years...I finally was able to get them into a charter school. Oh my lucky stars...things are looking up.
So this was a brand new school...so to help alleviate any fears...I presented her (and another cute family in the ward whose kids were also going to this charter for the 1st time) ...a Schultuete. Which is a tradition in Germany..where on the first day of school the parents present their kids with a obscenely LARGE and overly decorated cone. The cone is filled with all kinds of treats and goodies. The kids take them to school...have their picture taken holding them in front of their school sign or classroom sign..and then wait ALL day before finally getting to open them at home.
Great idea in theory. I presented them to Reagan and the other kids the night before and all agreed to take them to school. Mind you we don't live in Germany...we have NO German descent...but none the less we carried these gigantic things in to snap their picture.OH the looks we got...the questions we were asked...the embarrassed and horrified look Reagan had as I shoved it in her arms to embrace and hold.
I got my Kodak moment and took it back.
But she was excited to get off the bus that day and tear into her long awaited Schultuete.
Happy 1st Day of Skool my prep school child.
Next week its Madisons turn.


2 comments:
So super cute! Can't wait to see your post about Madison!
what a fun, creative experience! I am sure Madison is looking forward to her turn to receive a huge cone!
Post a Comment