Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Live Simply...So others Can Simply LIVE

One day last month...I was rushing to my one of my places I don't feel bad indulging in...a quilt store.  Hey its sparking and feeding my creativity...so spend away. 
It was a Saturday afternoon and after a long 10 mile run earlier that day...I didn't make it quite out as early as I wanted to visit this shop.
So by the time I got there I had less than 30 minutes. Who can look at all the plethora of color and designs in 30 minutes. 
I need more time to digest it all and focus on a project (or 2 or 3 at a time). 

I quickly read a flyer posted on the enterance door...but knew I couldn't spend time dwelling on it...there was fabric to touch and feel and fall in love with.
So I rushed in and was taken by the burst of color.  Right now in the dreary days of winter...color can boost my soul..and promise that prettier things are ahead

So as my soul was rejoicing in color...my soul kept turning to the flyer i read on the door.
I couldn't focus on my love of fabrics I had to go re-read the flyer and put my mind at ease. 
I laid the bolts I already had decided had to be mine on a counter and proceeded outside.

I read the entire flyer and was moved.  I knew what I had to do.  I couldn't spend $50 on fabrics plus the $16 pattern to make a dress for the littlest imp of my household.
There were girls in Haiti who needed dresses...and they were asking ANYONE who could sew to put their talents to use for a greater cause. 
So I marched back in...put away my fabric and said another day I can sew for my own...but today I will take care of Heavenly Fathers other daughters.

It was intoxicating to me...to start pulling fabrics to make these simple pillowcase dresses.  They didn't need to be made all fancy...but why didn't the little girls in Haiti deserve some high quality...beautiful prints too.
So away I went...my bag full of fabric for someone elses daughter to enjoy.  But that is not all that was full...my heart was too...finally something I could physically do for the people of Haiti.

The next morning was the Sabbath Day.  My Sunday mornings are usually a day to sleep a little later  (since church isn't until 11:30)...eat a big breakfast with the family and then start the long journey of baths for 6 people...dressing myself and 4 others...and doing 5 sets of hair (and curly messy hair if I might add).

But in the middle of my Sunday routine...I had some inspiration.  I had set a lofty goal of making 20 dresses but what if I spread the word and presented this service opportunity to women in the ward. 
YES this is what I had to do.

I ran downstairs and furiously cut..pinned...pieced...and sewed a pillowcase dress.  It took me about 1 hour since I didn't have a pattern.  I stood back and marveled how quick and easy this was going to be.  And now I had a sample to show the 100+ women I have the pleasure of rubbing spirits with each week.

I made a quick sign up...hoping for 10 people who wanted the pattern to help sew.  I got home excited that the sign up sheet was full..12 people.  Then I noticed that there was another sheet behind the first one full and a 3rd one behind that full. Names scribbled off to the side...I had 38 women who wanted to answer the call.
Over the next 2 weeks we sewed...some of us quietly in our homes...others formed groups and made them together.  A few Sundays later I had 35 dresses delivered to me...then 8 more on my doorstep...then 40+ in a box hand delivered...my 20...and a few more here and there.
A total of 115 dresses.  Did you hear that 115 dresses. 
I thought maybe 50-60 but 115 little girls who may have no home to go back to would have beautiful handmade dresses to liven their day. 
I felt guilty delivering these by myself.  There were many hearts and hands who went into this.  I drove up to the store and brought in a box full of bright colored dresses.  The gal behind the counter was amazed...she said you have a whole box of dresses?  And I said NO...I have 3 boxes of 115 dresses.  They were amazed.  I told them my story so they knew of the good hearted woman I live by..ready to jump at a cause.

7 comments:

Tay and Teigan said...

You are so awesome! On top of being talented and creative you were able to help so many others. Wish I was still in Utah so I could partake of your awesomeness :)

Monique and Michael said...

I second Teigan, you really are very very awesome...but I don't wish I lived in Utah, I wish you still lived in Texas and that goes for you too Teig!

Lauren said...

Sis, you are an amazing example to me. I am so happy that you did this wonderful thing for the little girls! Has Reagan come to terms about the little Haitian boys? :D Love you!

Vanalee said...

Thanks for being such a wonderful example and thanks for reminding me get my own project going.

Jenny said...

That is amazing! I love seeing all the dressses laid out and so colorful. Those girls are blessed to have you and the other women touching their lives - even in a small way. Could be the fanciest dresses they've ever had - so sweet.

Sepp said...

What an amazing response to a call to serve. The dresses are so cute; I love the fabrics that were used. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Wyatt said...

What an amazing post and what amazing women you all are!!!