Monday, May 4, 2009

Right of Passage

(This pic was taken today in front of Daddys pretty flowers...we are giggling because she is trying to stand on her tipie toes to look as tall as me...so I stood on my tip toes to get her back...pathetic how it only gained me an inch.)


So last week I had a new experience...that doesn't happen much around here in my "Groundhog Day" like life.
I was invited to attend a class with my eldest daughter on Tuesday. This was something I was looking forward to with her. So as it always goes...she got sick and had to stay home from school...with the swine flu just rearing its piggy head around these sticks...we couldn't take any chances.
But as the morning went on...I determined it was the asthma monster rearing its ugly head. So I medicated her all up...which usually gives her a nice jittery feeling and announced that we were still going to the class.
The excited jittery feeling was lost as I announced those words...she immediately went back to a sullen state. She has become a good faker...when she needs to.
I called my trusty neighbor who has no young kids at home to come listen to baby snooze...so daughter and I could attend our class.
Off we were to our exciting MATURATION class for all 5th grade girls. We were some of the first to arrive and we watched as 45 other nervous and excited girls entered the room. Some seemed to have no idea what to expect. Most felt comforted to have Mom sitting next to them. A few had no womanly figure to hold onto...where were those moms anyway.
The nurse began and there was several snickers as she showed a cartoon drawing of girls development...the word breast buds really got them giggling. No one was laughing at the mention of hair in the nethermost region.
We went on to watch a very informative movie about menstruation...I forgot that is what its really called....I had just taught MTV about having a period.
When it was all said and done...it was a good day. MTV and I had some one on one time...she cozied up to me in the meeting like a dog wanting his head scratched and I obliged...back scratching the whole time.
The girls reluctantly took their "goodie bags" full of deodorant and multi size mattress like pads. Not many dared to peek in, until they got home.
I asked MTV what she learned...and she said, "Nothing, I knew it all already".
I patted myself on the back for giving her all the appropriate information she needed for her age. Feeling all proud of myself...I then heard her say "she learned it all from the American Girl book I gave her".
WHAT!!!! I had a heart to heart with her before I gave her that dumb book....and she gave that dang book all the credit. Oh well...I guess this is the beginning of a long process of getting no credit and only blame for everything wrong in her life.
1 down and 3 to go....Heaven help me!!!!
Or maybe its hubby who needs the help...5 menstruating gals in the house someday. See how I used my new word....menstruation. From now on I will use that phrase at all times to embarrass my ever changing daughter.

6 comments:

Lauren said...

The picture of you two is so adorable. Madison looks like she is growing up so quickly! I can't believe that you already have to talk about that stuff. I don't remember ever learning about it from mom, but I do remember the sex-ed class that we had in 5th and 6th grade. It's crazy how quickly the time goes. Miss you!

Miss(Michelle) said...

I remember Mom trying to talk to me about it and I didn't want to hear any of it. In fact when I did finally start....I didn't even tell her for several months...until she noticed her stash of mattress pads diminishing quicker than usual. I am still embarassed by it all.

Taryn & Brian Elmer said...

Oh my Madison! She is so big now! I remember when I first met you guys and she was so little! Reagan was still a brand new big, bald headed baby! That was so long ago! I miss you guys so much!!! I love you all so much!! Hope all is well!!

Taryn

Tay and Teigan said...

Oh the memories of "maturation classes." I remember in 5th grade someone dared me to sneak into the boys growth and development classes so I did. And then I got caught. And my poor mother had to come to a meeting with the principal and me. That was awkward.

I can't believe Madison is on the verge of being a hormonal teenager! Where does the time go? She is growing up to be beautiful just like her mamma. Poor Matt.

mamabear said...

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! I have loved being a mom to you all these years and I can see the love you have for your children. You are following in the footsteps of the world's greatest mother - Grandma Adeline. So keep up the great work you are doing as a mother because it will bless generations of children to come. Love, Mom

Dan and Dee said...

Wow, what a memory jogger that was-going through it myself, with my twin sister, and then going through it with our two girls. However, the funny thing is that in Kingwood I would ALWAYS be called to substitute teach on that day. I have gone through more of those lectures than any normal person. I think it is funny that the regular teacher never wanted to be a part of that. Crazy.
You guys are so cute. Open communication is so much better than the hush hush...
When my mom approached my sister and I she asked us if we knew about "life" we said, OF COURSE. We knew nothing...really...too funny.