Sunday, June 21, 2009

Our ELLA

Daughter #3 was so desperate to have a cat...that she was trying to catch the neighbors cats who wander through our yard on the way to the mountains. I caught hubby at a weak moment and he said YES. So I immediately went online and found this adorable baby who need adoption.
So we set out as a family to run errands one Saturday in May. We told the girls that if they were good...then we would get a treat on the way home.
We drove up to a strange house and I told everyone to wait in the car...i had to pick something up.
When I got back a few minutes later...I asked Ri-Ri to hold my big black purse. I set the purse on her lap...Ri-Ri looked down and cracked the sweetest biggest smile and yelled "KITTEN".
The other girls were not so calm...and full on screaming erupted from our car.
That little baby with the brightest blue eyes was passed from excited girl to excited girl. She never knew what hit her.
This sweetie never hit the ground for longer than a minute. She was held...loved and cuddle most of the day.
I would awaken to the garage door being open and shut many many times as one by one each girl would wake up and head straight to see Ella.



*********
Then tragically her life was cut short today. A freak accident left our beloved Ella motionless and lifeless. We heard the howl and then found her convulsing. Thankfully she died quickly but we had to witness her last fight at life. It left us all devastated. We had to wake one child who was still sleeping...to say her final goodbyes.
The girls found the most perfect box...a heart shaped box that Daughter #1 had used to collect her Valentines this year.

They each gathered one of Ella's favorite toys...a shoe lace...a sock...a twig...a ribbon that said BEST...and laid it gently with her.

They stroked her fur...they gave her gentle kisses.

They watched their daddy dig her grave and gently bury her. He found the most perfect spot...near their playground, where they can see her each day.

They covered the ground with rocks to protect her and picked beautiful flowers that are so abundantly growing all around.

We sang "I am a Child of God" because that is what we sing at Mason's grave. After wards I thought it was appropriate for Ella too...she is Gods creation just as we are.

I tried to console them and say everything possible...but Daughter #3 said it the best...."It's okay mommy, don't be sad, maybe Mason needed a kitten in Heaven."

I promised her that animals will be resurrected too and someday Ella will be back with her. I am sure she is pouncing in Heaven now.

6 comments:

Lance and Ariel said...

aww...those are the saddest/cutest pictures I have ever seen. Your girls are the cutest!

Debbie said...

reminds me of our one and only cat...(we aren't really cat fans over here) We had her about a week before she jumped on the tire of a car racing down our street and was killed instantly. I didn't know if I should be relieved or just grateful!!! I know that's terrible to admit but it really was a relief!

KMurray said...

Oh know! Life lessons are very hard at times. :(

Kelsey said...

Wow! How traumatic! What was the horrible accident? It sounds like our puppy that died a week after we got it. Its awful. Are you goign to get another one?

Tay and Teigan said...

Aw, that brings back awful memories of our kitten Elie who fell asleep in the lawn mower and died a violent death when my dad went to mow the lawn.

Those cute little faces express it all! So sweet and so sad at the same time.

dee said...

as already stated, their faces tell the story...:(