Thursday, July 23, 2009

FLASHBACK 20 Years

I know I haven't been posting much in the last 2 months...so I am trying to catch up day by day.
We packed up this gaggle of girls and headed home to TEXAS.
I try not to subject myself to extreme temperatures of heat or cold...but this year it could not be avoided.
100+ degrees and 100% humidity...here I come.
Many of my high school chums were converging on our hometown to see how far we have come in 20 years. (Gosh now you know how old I am.)

With no date (hubby was back in Utah doing that thing called work) I called the next best thing.. my baby baby sister. How appropriate I thought since she graced our family my senior year of high school.
Like the proud sister I was...I toted that baby to basketball games...to the store and more.
I can imagine the looks I got...as unknowing people passed with their eye brows raised high.
Lauren drove in from the best college around...UT need I say more.
She said, "are you sure you want a YOUNGER, PRETTIER version of you there?"
I quickly changed my mind and said HECK NO...please stay here and watch my offspring for the evening.
(Thanks younger prettier version of me)
So away I went like Cinderella to the ball with no man on my arm.
I did meet up with one of my bestest friends, Lisa before the gala.
We have laughed together since our young 4th grade days as baton twillers.
I can still do a mean windmill if you would like to see.

My friends amazed me how grown up they are.
Professionals, Spouses, and Parents.
(Spanx was in working well that night)

Some who could barely pen their name to the SAT test, were now in charge of major divisions of companies or entrepreneurs.
Well they did show entrepreneur skills even back then as the fenagaled their way out of detention or demerits or failing classes.

(These are people that lived on my street of Spring Grove. Tres was my bestest guy friend. He teased me unmercifully but I wouldn't have it any other way.)

My bigest surprise was to see how dazzling my gal pals all stayed. They paraded into the ballroom with swanky dresses on and bodies that still looked the same.
Tried as I may...not a pound was shed pre-reunion..all that jogging got me no where on the scale but depressed. Then I realized that my friends loved me no matter what I look like.
So I pinned 5 individual pics of each of my darling kids and headed out the door.
(This is one of my bestest friends through high school and beyond. We were the only ones to get accepted to the best university around. Hook Em' We still bleed orange.)

Award ceremony came and I tied for the most number of kiddos. Only outside of Utah would 5 win. My buddy Tres has 5 too...but I think he should be eliminated since he didn't carry one of the them for 10 months much less squeeze one out.

Also a friend named me the "Most Dressed" of the Night.
Gotta keep a girl humble.
4 layers was more than enough in the 100 degree weather.
But my shoes were to die for. (picture to come)
Thats all that matters.

We did have 10 of our fellow Bears pass since our high school days.
Surprisingly they were all guys.
Sad as we remembered them so full of life walking down our hallways.

So here's to the next 20 years.
Hey that's a country song if you are brave enough to admit it.

4 comments:

Debbie said...

fun stuff!! I actually won the same award for most kids at my 20th! That's Cali for you! Glad you survived the heat and humidity. Sorry we missed you when we were in Utah...it was a short, fast trip but we did at least get to see David and Lynn.

Kelsey said...

You look great. Glad I got to see you for an hour and wish it was more. When are you coming back? To live?

mamabear said...

You will always be beautiful!!!! I love you and so do all your old school friends. Love, Mom

Lauren said...

Looking through these pictures of you and your friends, you really don't look all that much older than me. I hope that as I age I will look like you and Cindi and then eventually mom. We are so blessed to have good genes! I loved helping you get ready because it was a sisterly experience that I had never had before! You are very special to me and I love you!