Since moving to the BeeHive state...no one here knows our Mason story...one day while jogging with a friend, Jennifer, she asked what we do special on Mason's day of passing.
I thought of years past, when my whole extended family met in Quitman for Labor Day weekend and remembered his last day on earth. We would all gather at the grave, sing I am a Child of God, and let balloons off. The little cousins all loved it. We told them how the balloons rising in the air represent how Mason's spirit too rose that day too to return to our Father in Heaven. And how even though we can't see the balloons anymore...they are still there. Same for Mason, we can't see him anymore...but HE is stilll HERE.
I told her truthfully how I don't love going to his grave. It brings me great sadness. His gravestone is weathering, I always get sticker burs in my feet, sometimes ant bites...but overall just a raw feeling of despair. I try not to remember the haunting images...but I can't help it when I stand over his grave. I know it is sacred ground...my father dedicated it to be so....but I don't feel HIM there.
So this year was different...no grave to go to...no extended family to gather round. I really racked my tiny brain on what we could do this year. It was a Tuesday. Matt came home early from work...we packed a picnic (ok truth be told...we bought a picnic)...picked up balloons and headed to the mountains by our house. We drove as high as we could (I was car sick by this point with all the switch backs). We hiked to the tippy tippy top of the tallest mountain we could find.
The view was incredible. 360 degrees of mother nature. We could see past the valley at the expanse of the Great Salt Lake...we could see the rugged terrain below...we could see the Bountiful temple off to the south.
We ate our food while taking in the view. The girls ran and picked wild flowers. Then we sang our song and let our balloons fly. They soared higher than they ever have before. It felt if we were closer to heaven too. We had 9 blue balloons tied together to represent each year of his passing. Then we each let off an individual balloon. Avery even surprised us by not cyring when she let hers soar. She even tried to take mine from me and release it.After we couldn't see the blue and red specs...Ri-Ri who is always thinking...said "What is Mason going to do with all those balloons."
My heart swelled at the thought of poor Mason in heaven with the hundreds of balloons he has received over the past 9 years. He also got some from his Texas cousins that day. They even wrote a special note.
This dear friend, who was thoughtful enough to ask about Mason and our traditions also delivered an awesome gift. She brought over the most fabulous birthday cake stand, candle holders and cute table runner. She wanted to bring cheer to our dark day. And I know it is a celebration too of sorts for him. The day he returned to Heaven.
My friend Jen, knows all too well the pain of an early good-bye.
But we also can't forget another reason to pause, reflect and celebrate on that day...the birth of my sweet sister who "Smells good". That nickname was given to her by the our youngest sister, Lauren. She came up with some real zingers...like "Missy, you look good from here up" (pointing at my neck).
Happy Birthday sis, we ate the most delish cupcakes in your honor.
And here's a flash back pic for you...of you and MTV on another birthday celebratioin. I enjoyed looking back at old pics and seeing how much time you would spend coming to Kingwood to visit and hang out with MTV. Thats why she loves you so much. Wish you could do that now. 


5 comments:
I love this. Miss did you take off the sound tracks that you had playing for Mason? I have tried to find it for a few weeks, but can't find it on your page. Would you mind telling me the songs that they were so I can listen to them again. I liked to hear them because they reminded me of you and Mason! I love you sister.
Hey sis...I just added the songs back to the blog.
I took them off b/c someone said she hated opening peoples blogs and songs blare at her. If I remember correctly...I think that person was our other sister.
Hey! I never said that! At least I don't remember saying that! Play whatever songs you darn well like. This is your blog...Thanks for the post. It is nice to see that someone got to eat cake on our birthdays. Bet yours wasn't gluten free, casein free, soy free or butter free like my birthday cake was. If you can call what I had a cake...I too miss coming to visit you guys in Kingwood. I had fun playing with Madison and taking her on walks and running past the monster cages. Bet she doesn't remember that! It's no wonder why I'm her favorite aunt.
Hey! I never said that! At least I don't remember saying that! Play whatever songs you darn well like. This is your blog...Thanks for the post. It is nice to see that someone got to eat cake on our birthdays. Bet yours wasn't gluten free, casein free, soy free or butter free like my birthday cake was. If you can call what I had a cake...I too miss coming to visit you guys in Kingwood. I had fun playing with Madison and taking her on walks and running past the monster cages. Bet she doesn't remember that! It's no wonder why I'm her favorite aunt.
I love the pictures, thank you for sharing. What a wonderful way to celebrate his short life.
Post a Comment