Friday, February 6, 2009

Body Worlds


My cute 20 year old sister came to visit...and I dragged her to
Body Worlds in Salt Lake.
I had been wanting to see it for months and this was the closing week.
Hubby was not interested in going but I didn't want to miss it.
I marveled as I saw the human body in all it's nakedness.
The best was seeing there was no brain inside a man's "most prized possession".
Proved that theory wrong.
Then came our own amazement over Riley's new body part....


Weeks before Christmas, while dragging all 4 girls to the mall (don't recommend to anyone) Riley had her toenail violently ripped off by a big mall door.
The screaming and blood was horrific.


I am frantically searching for band-aids and tissues
(which like any bad Mom is back in the car).


I release baby Avery from her jail like stroller seat and pass the baby like a football to Madison while trying to calm the hysterical, toenail-less child in the stroller.



I dash out of the mall with girls trailing behind me...to secure the ever so vital bandaid or 2 or 3. (note to self...always keep bandaid in purse)


I successfully push the nail back into place...only to appease the OCD child who has been stripped of a part of her...her precious pink sparkling toenail.



For weeks she walked on her heel...only wearing flipflops...as to not put any pressure on the injured stub. Not a great idea in the middle of snowy December.



I so diligently changed the Dora bandaids each day...only to have her scream and yell...don't pull my pretty nail off....and then glance downward in that direction and scream....it's "gusting" (disgusting)...get my band aid on".



So after 8 weeks of looking at a ratty bandaid...I convinced her that like a butterfly...her toe had shed its ugly cocoon and a beautiful new toenail grew in its place.


She looked in amazement and bewilderment. Not sure what to think.
Her thoughts went something like this:




  • Was it as pretty as the one she lost?...no..it was short and quite bummpy.


  • Would it do my sparkly purple dress up shoes justice.


  • Would I ever be the same? Or is all fashion hope lost??

After 30 minutes of convincing this strong willed daughter of mine, who is only 4 mind you, I was able to paint and polish and make that new toenail dazzle.
She loved it..she got a ear to ear grin and knew that life was good again.


She also remembered to thank Heavenly Father for her new sparkly toe.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Holy crap! No thank you! LOosing a toe nail sounds so painful! Poor girl. My band aids are in the car, too so don't feel bad. You are a great mom. What did yo uwant at the mall so bad that drove you to takeing 4 with you?

Dan and Dee said...

ouch! I always dragged the kids everywhere. (Maybe that's why they now hate to shop) but life is what it is.
Sorry about her toe though! You are a great mom for painting and making it better~