The night before Valentines Day...I sat staring at this unused cupcake fabric...and I thought hey why don't I whip up some Valentine jammies for the girls. I always get them some goodies to celebrate the day of love...but this year I didn't want to get the usual basket of junk that I would regret finding all over my floor. So PJ's would be a better idea.
So off I went to cutting, pinning, and sewing. Only to realize I didn't have enough fabric for 4 little PJs. So I did what I could that night then had to dash out on Valentines day for more fabric and then back to cutting, pinning, and sewing.
Well I did finish much to my doubt..but it was already 9:20 at night ...before I presented my little gifts to my little gems. Although the littlest gem was already in bed with no cupcake jammies to keep her warm.
It's all about the wrapping that makes it look more special than it is.

To my surprise they were more excited than the usual go to bag of candy, lotion, and jewlery. They have not taken them off much since then. I have to beg them to let me wash them at least once a week.
In days past...I use to fret over every detail. Which hand made cards to make for each girl to pass out to their classmates....which shirt for them to wear to school that day (ok I still do that)...what hairstyle they will have that will be different than all the rest....what fabulous gift to present to each teacher we so love...
But as the years pass...I just don't have it in me anymore to fret over such things...what has happened to me...I have resorted to store bought licensed cards with a piece of candy stuck on... some throw together token for the teacher...girls with normal hairstyles going out the door.
OH THE SHAME...Riley took Barbie cards to school...where is the thrill in that. Then the guilt came when she came bouncing through the door to parade all of the cards she got...and the first ones I noticed were the adorable hand made cards some Mom (who cared more) had made. Someone even made mini IPOD's with head phones out of a box on converstation hearts and peanut butter cup earphones.
I have lost my edge...lost my desire to go over the top...lost my passion for making something special.
That is why I decided to hand make some jammies...I had to redeem myself to those who really mattered...my kids.
And here is the thanks I got...a nice note from the eldest daughter taped to my door.
Gotta love that fiesty girl.
Hope your Valentines day was not as crazy as mine.




3 comments:
You always amaze me with your talents! Now that I am enrichment leader do you want to fly over here and help me out with our Super Saturday?!
An improvement in your attitude? After what you made her!? WOW! You are awesome. Don't doubt for one minute that hte kids in their classes care about what handmade thing they get. We are told to simplify. And that is what are you doing! (yeah right). You still amaze me!
You actually got them finished on Valentines? Hooray! They are darling and my kids don't give a crap if the card is homemade - just as long as the candy is there! I love the note from Madison...what was your attitude that day? I see it was addressed to Matt also - don't take all the blame ;o)
Post a Comment