I was visiting my old stomping grounds in Austin and I was chatting on the phone to Sally, the worlds biggest Longhorn fan, and the first thing she asked me was "HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE BACK IN GOD'S COUNTRY?" You couldn't wipe the smile off my face at that thought. It is the best state in the nation. It's not the humidity, big hair, or mosquitos that makes it great. What makes it so great are the people that live there. Friendly, proud, and true southern hospitality. I miss that the most people who smile at you when you make eye contact, men that hold the door for you as you are pushing a double stroller while trying to balance 4 drinks and a kid on your hip, small waves as you drive by whether you know them or not. And I don't mean the one finger wave that most people like to give you when you cut them off.
Thankfully my baby sister needed help decorating her first college apartment. So I was to the rescue. Wow what a set up she has. She sure is living a different life from me and my other 4 siblings who went there. No poor kids there. All the students were getting everything new...they even have a 42" flat screen. I don't even have that. I only got asked TWICE if I was her MOTHER. What..okay its time for a make over. I thought I was looking like her older hip sister...but I guess I need to look in the mirror more and see that I am approaching my late 30's. So I could technically be her MOM. YIKES!!! Good luck LB on your year and follow your heart on what major to choose.
The lovely Bayou city, Houston was next. I packed 30 friends into 24 hours. I had great dinners with precious friends, sleepy sleepovers (thanks to Ambien). Walking into my old ward (church) was like coming home. These are the people I grew to love and helped me with my crazy life and kids. Lunch with dear neighbors... I miss having them near me every day to encourage me and help me get through life. They don't make better people than I had in Kingwood.
As I drove down Kingwood Drive to the airport...I had to wipe away my steady tears so I could see the road. I gave up so much...and it wasn't the big house,shopping, convenience and top notch schools that I missed the most...it was my relationships. I know they will always be there but it still hurts.
You can take a girl out of Texas but you can't take Texas out of the girl. I felt the need to buy some obnoxious Longhorn t-shirts and I wear them LOUD and PROUD.


5 comments:
I'm sorry that I wasn't able to spend more time with you when you were here. I don't know if you noticed me looking at you in Relief Society on Sunday, but I kept glancin' over and thought it was fun seeing you sitting there. We sure do miss you! All y'all better come back soon, ya hear? luvs, Kami
Ah yes, Texas is the best. I'm glad you were able to make a trip back.Kingwood really does have some of the best people in the world. And I'm so glad you got going on your blog!
P.S. Wanna come help decorate my apartment?
Kami,It was great to be back in KW 3rd ward. You don't realize how good you have it until you leave and realize you can't find people like that. The church is true everywhere...but it feels a little truer in Kingwood 3rd ward.
I found a bag of enrichment stuff and in there was a couple bars of those cute soaps you made for our pioneer event. It made me smile as I unwrapped them and have been using them. They still smell great.
HUGS Michelle
Teigan, Hope you are adjusting to life better than I have on my move. I will come decorate your place anytime...I have changed my family room and kitchen to an Anthropology feel...more ecletic..reds, turquoise, apple greens, oranges...no more Tuscan theme with roosters. Come visit.
Is your foot healing alright??? I have thought about your biking accident several times and it is enough to keeps me from trying mountain biking on these scary hills and mountains...maybe I will take up cycling at the gym..
HUGS Michelle
Post a Comment