Saturday, October 11, 2008

Last 48 hours

Before hubby goes to work on Thursday morning he decides he would like to accept an invitation from Bruce Hough (Dad to Julianne and Derek Hough the Dancing with the Stars dancers) to go to the Governor's Gala on Friday night. Supportive but overwhelmed...I went into crazy lady looking for a cocktail dress mode. I haven't wore one of those since I earned my motherhood degree 10 years ago.
  • Where do I go besides the normal department stores??? Come to find out there isn't much else.
  • Short or Long???
  • Black or color??? It was a black tie affair.
  • Shoes: How high is too high. Need to make up for my height deficit/
  • Jewelry: Simple or ornate. Hoops or dangles
  • Make-up: Don't even know where to begin there since I usually only master lipgloss and mascara each day.
  • Handbag: clutch or over the shoulder
  • Hair: AGGGHH!!! I was way overdue for a cut but no time for that. So up or down??? Curled or Straight??? Fussy or simple????
  • Wrap or coat??? It was going to be in the 30's.
  • Nails: I was in desperate need of a pedi and mani. But I forgot I have no fingernails. Would tips look like I was trying to hard???
So with baby in tow I hit Fashion Place mall like a mad woman...I only had 2.5 hours to pull the entire wardrobe together before I had to pick kids up from school. Thank goodness for Nordstroms. I found the dress immediately. I found the shoes and bag on the 2nd stop. The big problem was the dress was a little low cut and needed a cami under it. That is hard to pull off and not look dumpy...so I spent the next hour hunting for that and never came up with a great solution....but something that would do.


Race home pick up the girls...and go try to get a mani and pedi...after 1.5 hours only left with a pedicure. Rush home throw some food on the stove...Hubby arrives home...say Hi and BYE and head out to yet another mall for jewelry, wrap and a new tie and cuff links for hubby. Finally get all of that as the mall is closing it doors. Go home try it all on together and then collapse for the night.



Friday AM: Go back to the nail place with 2 kids in tow and get the fingernails done. Leave hating how they look. Rush home to meet the other 2 girls being dropped off from school on their early out Fridays. Get everyone a snack...get the baby to bed and rush out the door with 2 girls to the hair place to get hair and makeup done. Not a great idea since I had never been there...but decided it would be better than what I could do. The gal convinced me that curls were the way to go. So I did and left looking like a flapper girl. Called Matt to prepare him for the unique look. Threw dinner in the oven...hopped in the bath...and started the huge process of getting all dressed.

After it was all said in done...it was a huge amount of effort for a fun night. It was great people watching to see how the other side lives. We felt like fish out of water but enjoyed hob nobbing with the elites. It made me realize how mommyfied I have become...I didn't even have the "little black dress" hanging in my closet for that spur of the moment moment. I had to start from scratch...and it wasn't a lovely place to start from. Maybe I should take a little better care of myself so next time I have less than 48 hour notice...I won't need the complete overhaul. But thanks hubby for a fun and exciting night out...it all made it worth it to be on the arm of a fine dressed man.

5 comments:

Jenny said...

You guys look so great! All the craziness paid off big time - I love your shoes! Sounds like you have a fun time - maybe it's the White House next?!

whit said...

Miss, I was wondering how it all went. You look beautiful! I'm glad you had fun.

Tay and Teigan said...

Hot mamma! I agree, it's really hard to find anything that you don't need a camisole or shade or something with. Y'all look fabulous, I love your dress and shoes. Did Matt pick out his own outfit?! Well done.

Goosby gang leader said...

how did I miss this post? Anyway...love the dress! and the shoes...sexy! I bet Matt enjoyed seeing you all dolled up. You looked like a new woman (not in a bad way). It is nice to get all dressed up, go out on the town and have some fun every once in awhile. Thanks Matt for getting her out of the house. I was tired of talking to her about which pair of sweat pants she should wear.

Sepp said...

Seriously high stress evening. I definitely would have cracked under the pressure of trying to get myself presentable. You did a great job with both yourself and Matt.