Monday, October 13, 2008

Special Weekend

I know this is my 3rd post about the happenings of the weekend...but this one was the most special. At the beginning of the year, hubby and I were asked to teach the CTR 7 kids in our childrens primary at church. Those are the kids that are 7 who will turn 8 within the year. In my church, this is a VERY important year. At age 8 the children can be baptized. We believe that at this age they are able to make that important decision and that they are capable of knowing right from wrong. Sometimes I can talk in my church lingo...if you ever have a question what I am talking about...ask me or go to this website that tells you our basic beliefs.


When we were 1st called to teach, I had to swallow hard and fight back my emotions as the it immediately registered that this is the same age as Mason would be. This would be the year that he too would have been baptized. I said yes with my mouth but fought hard internally on if I could really do this. It was to tender....to close to the surface. I went home and prayed that we could be able to do this and that it would be a blessing to us.


And now 10 months later as we watched 2 out of the 5 kids we teach get baptized this weekend...I realized that being their teacher has been a tender mercy sent from the Lord. Yes, I cried as I saw those 2 adorable kids up there ready to make sacred promises and recieve tremendous blessings. I thought of how handsome my own little Mason would be up there. But I am grateful and feel blessed to be able to be part of these children's lives in such a pivotal year. This will be something that they remember for the rest of their lives and I hope hubby and I have helped prepare them. I know that they have forever touched our lives and hearts.


First was Katrina. She is a child full of bounldless energy. She has a true zest for life. She is always smiling and upbeat. She can be a little hard to wrangle in sometimes...but that is also what makes her so endearing. She truly makes me smile. Maybe Mason would have been like her???
Next was David. He is a very thoughtful child. He puts much thought and pondering into what he says. He truly wears his heart on his sleeve. He is never afraid to answer a question or try to jump off the high dive (even after spending 5 minutes up there with every eye on him and he decides he doesn't want to dive and backs down. But still goes up there to try again...only to realize he was right the first time and back on the ground is where he belongs). He has a HUGE spirit in that tiny body. Maybe Mason would have been like him???
Just as I was writing this...I glanced up to see my own angelic child smiling at me with his big toothless grin. I am so blessed to have been given that precious time with him so I can have his picture still take my breath away. I am also blessed to know that he had no need for baptism since he died before he was 8. He was not capable of sin in the least degree and thus died perfectly in Christ. Satan had no power over my son. What a great thought.

3 comments:

Miss(Michelle) said...

Wow what a bold jacket I was wearing...maybe next time I won't wear one so busy for pictures. I was just freezing and it looked like the warmest thing.

Debbie said...

You looked great, as did you all outfitted for the Governor's ball!!
Mike and I just spoke at our stake baptisms this weekend. I'm in the stake primary so I get the opportunity to do that every 4 months but Mike was asked as a ward assignment. It was kind of fun that we both got the assignment on the same month. I love being able to attend those special days!
And OH!! it's snowing already????? Urgh!!!! So much for Fall. We went from the 90's one day to the 70's the next so we aren't in any better shape here.

Sepp said...

Thanks for the post, I needed a little pick-me-up. Love to all.